New Street Parking Meters in Downtown Walnut Creek
The City of Walnut Creek installed new, easier to use and read parking meters in January. Meters located on the street in Downtown Walnut Creek are City-operated meters and the current equipment has met its useful lifespan. Customers have also told the City the current meters are difficult to read in direct sunlight, rain and have limited capacity to work with newer technology.
The new parking meters have a taller contemporary design with an easy to view interface, feature a large solar panel allowing for fewer battery replacements and will accept coins, credit cards and ParkMobile mobile phone payments. Google/Apple payments will be coming soon. Rates and time limits are remain the same.
The meters are not completely new to Walnut Creek. The City has tested these meters at the Downtown Walnut Creek Library parking lot since 2017.
The project is funded by the City's Downtown Parking Enterprise and Enhancement Fund which collects all parking revenue and reinvests it back into Downtown Walnut Creek. Investments include landscaping, sidewalk cleaning, the Free Downtown Trolley, Downtown policing and community events. Check out the new meters here.
Have questions about how to use the new meters? Call the Meter Hotline (925) 765-5863
Watch the video below.
Check out the City's Dynamic Parking Map and learn how we manage parking demand Downtown.
- Hours are 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Sunday
- $2 per hour in Downtown Core area (Civic to Newell)
- $1 per hour in areas North, South and West of Downtown Core area
- Two-hour time limits in core; most meters outside of the core have a 10-hour limit (look for purple parking meter poles)
- Pay for parking with your phone: download the Park Mobile App (Free for iPhone or Android)
- Open 24 hours per day
- 1st hour FREE
- Broadway Garage is 50 cents per hour
- Lesher Center Garage is 50 cents an hour
- Special event parking fee at Lesher Center is up to $5
- South Locust Garage (above Tender Greens Restaurant) is $1 per hour
- Payments accepted: cash/coins, Visa and MasterCard, Google/Apple Pay and Park Mobile
- Monthly parking passes for City garages is available at http://www.lazparking.com/
- Look for free EV charging in all three City garages
Need to pay a parking citation?
Visit Walnut Creek Police to pay a parking citation.
The City of Walnut Creek offers payment plans for parking citations. Please see terms and conditions of the payment plans and the payment plan application form.
Where should I park?
Get real-time parking information by downloading a free smart app powered by ParkMe.