A. A non-refundable application fee per permit (maximum 4 trees per permit) is required.
- Any tree (dead or alive, public or private) located within City limits. Trees must be 9 inches in diameter or 28 inches in circumference, or larger, when measured at 4 1/2 feet above natural grade to require a permit.
- Removal application must be submitted using the attached application form (online, by mail or in person) by the owner (except in case of emergency.) The application must state reason(s) for removal and any other pertinent information. Note: Because a tree drops leaves or needles is not valid reason for removal.
- The application must include the tree's site address, clear directions of the tree(s) location on the property and telephone number where the owner may be contacted.
- After the application has been received, a site visit will be made by the City Arborist to evaluate the tree(s) using the following criteria:
- Public nuisance
- Danger of falling
- Proximity of existing structures
- Utility interference
- Sidewalk or driveway damage
- Acts as vector host
- Removal to be a benefit or detriment to other trees on site
- If the tree removal application is approved, the permit will be emailed to the applicant as soon after the field evaluation as possible.
- If the tree removal application is disapproved, the owner will be notified and given an opportunity to appeal decision to the Public Services Director. A copy of the Appeals Procedure will be attached.
- In case of emergency, please call (925) 943-5854
- The tree removal permit and copy of landscape contractor's Walnut Creek business license must be on site at time of physical removal or the work may be issued a stop work notice and citation.
C. Submittal Methods:
- On-line application with credit card payment *
- Mail-in application with check payable to City of Walnut Creek, addressed to Public Works Dept, City of Walnut Creek, 1666 North Main Street, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
- In person application at City Hall. Forms of payments accepted - Cash, check or credit card*
* A 3% surcharge applies to all credit card payments.NOTE: It is always advisable for property owner to only hire fully insured tree services with a valid Walnut Creek Business License. Get at least three quotes and be sure to describe in detail the work you want done.