COVID-19 UPDATE: The City of Walnut Creek is coordinating with Contra Costa Health Services, the local public health authority, on the developing COVID-19 pandemic. For local information, updates and resources about COVID-19 visit

Encroachment shall mean going over, upon or under or using any public right-of-way or natural water course in any manner other than its intended use (Municipal Code section 7-1.101).  The purpose of an encroachment permit is to provide the City oversight concerning the safe and orderly use, operation, construction, or placement of objects in the public right-of-way.

When Is An Encroachment Permit Required?

Any work performed in the public right of way requires an encroachment permit. For example: installation or repair of sidewalk, curb and/or gutter, driveway approach, installation of sidewalk underdrain, installation of sewer lateral, and any construction or staging requiring traffic or pedestrian control including video shoots.

What You Need To Obtain An Encroachment Permit?

How Do I Obtain An Encroachment Permit?

To obtain an Encroachment Permit, please submit the required documents by one of three methods: