Obtaining Copy of Police Report

Online Crime Reporting Frequently Asked Questions

Question  What do I do if the Citizens Online Reporting System is not right for me?
Answer If your incident is an emergency, please call 9-1-1. If it is a non-emergency, please call our Communications Center at (925) 935-6400.

Question What is a known suspect?
Answer A known suspect is when you or someone else knows the person or where to find the person who committed the crime OR you or someone else knows the license plate number of the vehicle the suspect(s) were in or there is video of the suspect(s).

Question What if this happened outside of the City of Walnut Creek? Can I file a report using the Citizens Online Reporting System?
Answer No. Please contact the Police/Sheriff's Department within the jurisdiction where the incident occurred

Question What does "Owner Applied No." mean?
Answer This term means a permanent engraving or etching that has been applied to a piece of property for identification purposes.

Question Can I provide a copy of the temporary report to my insurance company?
Answer You will need to find out from your insurance company if they will accept it.

Question When can I expect a response from the Police Department?
Answer The Department commits to respond to our citizens within five (5) business days.

Question Can I submit additional information after I send my original report?
Answer Yes. The online reporting system allows for supplemental information to be added after the original report has been filed.

Question What if I file a report for lost or stolen property and I find the property at a later time?
Answer Please file a supplemental report through our online reporting system, advising us that your property has been found/recovered.

Question What if my child’s identification is lost or stolen with mine?
Answer If your child's identification was lost/stolen during the same incident, please file a supplementary report under each additional person’s name using the report number that will be provided to you.

Question Should I cancel my credit card if it is lost or stolen?
Answer Yes, contact your credit card company immediately. If you file an online report of a lost or stolen credit card, please indicate in the "Incident Description" box whether or not you have canceled your credit card.