The City of Walnut Creek is preparing a new Sustainability Action Plan, which is based on our current Climate Action Plan (CAP). The Sustainability Action Plan will continue our citywide efforts to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions to address climate change in the short-term, through the year 2030, and in the long-term, out to 2050. This new Plan will look at resilience to climate change as well, helping us understand the threat posed by climate change and how we can stay healthy and safe in a future climate. The Plan will also address other key sustainability topics, such as equity, air pollution, water conservation, and waste. The City Council selected creating a Sustainability Action Plan as one of their four Council Priorities.
The Sustainability Action Plan will build on the current CAP, which was adopted in 2012 and aimed to reduce community-wide GHG emissions 15% below 2005 levels by 2020. It also set a goal of reducing GHG emissions 39% below 2005 levels by 2020 for City municipal facilities and operations. As part of the project, the City will be measuring our progress for 2017, the most recent year with complete data.
Statewide, California has set a goal of a 40% GHG reduction below 1990 levels by 2030, and an 80% reduction from 1990 levels by 2050. The City’s new plan is an opportunity to set new City goals and targets for these milestone years.
Over the next year, a number of community workshops, public hearings, and other events will involve our community in shaping priorities for the new Sustainability Action Plan. For more information on upcoming workshops and other ways you can be involved in the process, check this webpage for updates or sign up for the sustainability e-newsletter using the form at the bottom of our E.C.O. homepage.
Please note that agenda packets will be available 72 hours before a regular meeting on the Public Meetings & Agendas page for any City Council, Planning Commission, or Transportation Commission meeting. The agenda packet will include the meeting location and start time. You can also find agenda packets for past meetings by scrolling down to the Archives. View all agenda packets here:
Phase 1: Project Initiation & Visioning (Winter/Spring 2020)
- City Council – Review of Vision, Engagement Plan, and Stakeholder List – 2/4/20
- Stakeholder Meetings – March/April 2020
- Community Workshop and associated Pop-Up Events
- Community Workshop – Spring 2020
- Oktoberfest Tabling – Complete. 10/19/19
- Trunk or Treat Tabling – Complete. 10/25/19
- Other Pop-Up Events – Winter/Spring 2020
- Advisory Body Presentations
- Planning Commission – March/April 2020
- Transportation Commission – March/April 2020
- Youth Commission – 1/30/20
- Online Engagement: Update E.C.O. webpage and Open Town Hall – Winter/Spring 2020
Phase 2: Policy & Strategy Development (Summer/Fall 2020)
Phase 3: Plan Preparation & Environmental Review (Winter 2021)
Climate Action Plan (2012)
Since adoption of the City's first CAP in 2012, Walnut Creek has been actively working to reduce its GHG emissions that cause climate change by at least 15% below 2005 levels by 2020. The CAP serves as a blueprint for the City's sustainability efforts and policies to help the City meet state legal requirements for GHG reductions. Download these documents to learn more:
- Climate Action Plan and Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory (Adopted April 17, 2012).
- Addendum to the Walnut Creek General Plan EIR
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions Inventory for 2013
- 2016 Assessment Report on progress