COVID-19 UPDATE: The City of Walnut Creek is coordinating with Contra Costa Health Services, the local public health authority, on the developing COVID-19 pandemic. For local information, updates and resources about COVID-19 visit

A building permit is required when you add structures to your property or physically change your property. Some typical work requiring a permit would be: 

  • a new building or structure
  • addition to a house
  • kitchen or bathroom remodels
  • new, relocated or replacement of lighting fixture(s)
  • new, relocated or replacement water heater, furnace, or air conditioner
  • new or relocated ceiling fan(s)
  • photoelectric solar energy producing systems and components
  • installing built-in microwave
  • new or relocated laundry facilities
  • new, relocated or replacement of hard-wired electrical appliances, such as stoves or ovens
  • new, relocated or replacement of any gas-fired appliance
  • re-roofing
  • adding a skylight with associated framing.
  • replacing windows
  • new buildings or structures
  • additions
  • tenant improvements and alterations
  • changes in use (from office to restaurant, for example)
  • ADA compliance upgrades
  • re-roofing
  • awnings
  • signs
  • decks
  • new, relocated, or replaced HVAC systems, including equipment and associated piping, ducting and electrical
  • new or relocated plumbing fixtures, such as toilets, lavatories, urinals, and drinking fountains.
  • new, relocated, or replaced restaurant equipment, including cooking equipment, hoods, sinks, etc.

If any proposed work involves removing a tree, or construction within the drip line of the tree, city approval will be required.  The City has a tree preservation ordinance.    

Permits for the following work will generally be issued over the counter:

  • Re-roof
  • Kitchen remodels
  • Bathroom remodels
  • Skylights
  • Spas
  • Miscellaneous plumbing, electrical, or mechanical
  • Electrical service upgrades
  • Water heater replacement
  • Furnace replacement
  • Residential remodels, not requiring Title 24 energy or structural engineering
The above list is not meant to be a complete list, but only representative of the work which requires a permit.  If you have questions regarding specific work, please call the Community Development Department.  A permit technician will assist you in determining whether your proposed work requires a permit or not.