The Walnut Creek Youth Leadership Commission is holding its first Youth Conference on June 27, 2018 at Civic Park.
The goal of the day is to energize, engage and empower the next leaders in Walnut Creek. Come learn how to become more active in the community, engage with an inspiring keynote speaker and youth panel, learn about job and volunteer opportunities, register to vote, watch performances by local bands and dance groups, experience an art show and win raffle prizes.
The event is FREE, open to all ages and there will be food available for purchase.
Interested in attending? RSVP now!
Shelina Noorali is an incoming graduate student at Columbia University pursuing a Master of Public Administration. She previously worked with Sacramento International Rescue Committee (IRC) providing economic development and recovery services to newly arrived refugees and asylees. She founded IGNITE National’s UC Davis Chapter in 2014 to encourage more women to seek elected office and become civically engaged. Shelina spent the bulk of her last two years at UC Davis leading events through IGNITE, advocating in Washington D.C. for women’s reproductive rights, and conducting research on state capacity and economic growth.
Getting your first and next job
A discussion between business owners and youth on how to get your first or next job and what young folks need from their employers.
Lunch and Entertainment
Chat with organizations at their booths, grab food, check out the art show, listen and watch performances by:
North Gate Jazz Band
miniMODE-FUNKMODE Youth Performance Company
|1:00-2:00pm||How Can You Make a Difference in Our Community?
Get energized, engaged and empowered by hearing from some of your inspiring peers
Booths/Raffle Prizes/Call to Action
Continue visiting booths, check out the art show, take selfies, enter your booth passport into the raffle
Show off your talent and have the chance to win prizes by submitting an art piece to the Conference Art Show. We are currently accepting submissions. Here are the requirements:
- Unique original design
- 2-D work must be no more than 16" by 16"
- 3D work must be no more than 6"x 6"x 8"
- No more than 10lbs
- Art themes should include: empowering youth, youth having a voice in the community, youth taking action to better the world and Walnut Creek community values
Artists who are interested in submitting work must take a photo of their submission and send to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 20, 2018. Only 25 submissions will be accepted so submit early! Email must contain your name, grade, school, name of the art piece.
Are you a business, organization and/or group that's interested in participating?
Here are some options:
- Booth: Showcase your business, promote job/volunteer/internship opportunities (current and future), offer food/snacks etc.
- Raffle prizes: Each conference participant will have a “passport” that requires them to stop by each booth and get a stamp. Those with completed passports will be entered into a raffle. We need raffle prizes!
- Swag: Showcase your business with a “swag bag.” We’ll provide it to attendees.
Please contact Carla Hansen, Assistant to the City Manager, email@example.com if you have questions.