We are actively recruiting qualified individuals to be appointed as Level I, II, or III Reserve Police Officers! Applications continuously accepted. Lateral reserve officers, basic/modular academy graduates, and individuals with prior law enforcement experience welcome.
Please submit an application (details below) to be contacted about our next testing session or email us to learn more about our program. If you have an interest in learning more about being a reserve police officer, we encourage you to contact us. We will counsel you on how to complete the necessary requirements and get you started in your Reserve Police Officer experience.
All applicants must be at least 21 years of age (at the time of appointment). Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED certificate and a valid Class 3 California driver’s license with a good driving record. State law requires that permanent resident aliens who desire to be peace officers must apply for citizenship at least one year prior application for employment as a peace officer. The City of Walnut Creek is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants must complete at least Module III of the reserve academy program or possess a POST Basic Certificate. Applicants without any police training may apply. However, applications will not be fully processed until Module III or Basic Academy is completed. See the POST Requirements page for more information about legislated requirements.
- Must have no serious color vision deficiency.
- Must have vision of not less than 20/20 vision without correction, or 20/80 in both eyes correctable to 20/20 with eyeglasses or hard contact lenses, or 20/20 vision with proven use of soft contact lenses.
- Have normal hearing in both ears without correction.
- Have weight in proportion to height.
- Be free of disabling conditions or disease that could interfere with the duties of a peace officer.
- Be emotionally stable and mature.
- Possess strength and physical agility to perform duties of a peace officer.
The Selection Process
The selection process for Reserve Police Officer consists of a series of steps as mandated by California POST, the City of Walnut Creek, and the Walnut Creek Police Department. The steps towards selection and appointment as a Reserve Police Officer are as follows:
- Applicants must submit a completed and signed City of Walnut Creek employment application. Instructions for obtaining an application are described below.
- All applicants must perform a standard physical agility test which involves running, jumping over walls, dragging a weighted dummy, crossing a balance beam, etc. Complete details of the physical agility test are provided to candidates in advance of testing dates.
- Applicants must pass two rounds of oral interviews in order to continue in the hiring process. The first round of interview will be conducted by several officers in a group interview board to evaluate basic aptitude and abilities required to perform the duties of a Reserve Police Officer. Those applicants who pass the first round of interview will be invited back to participate in a second round of oral interview with the Department's command staff.
- Applicants must receive a favorable evaluation through a background investigation. Department background investigators will review each applicant's criminal history, driving record, education, past (and current) employment, and credit history. Applicants should be prepared to obtain and provide investigators with a standard credit report, copies of school diplomas and transcripts, along with reference names and addresses to expedite the investigation process.
- Applicants must receive clear medical and psychological examination reports. Examinations are performed by designated physicians and psychologists selected by the City of Walnut Creek to ensure that applicants possess the physical and mental health required for the position of Reserve Police Officer.
- The City of Walnut Creek reserves the right to request a candidate to submit to a polygraph exam as part of the selection process.
Download an Application
If you meet the requirements mentioned above and are interested in applying for a position as a Reserve Police Officer, download an employment application here.You may download and complete the application electronically, but you must still print, SIGN, and mail the application to:
Walnut Creek Police Department
1666 North Main Street
Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Attention: Reserve Officer Recruiting